V(^^)V ~ youkoso minnasan!

Saturday, March 04, 2006

yaoi---east meets west

A few weeks back, I was able to catch the most talked about film that has (according to LIBRE tabloid XD) "made gay ok in Hollywood". It topbilled the list of Oscar hopefuls that are said to mark the "year of the queer" (with 'Capote' and 'Transamerica' joining the list). Yes, I am talking of none other than Ang Lee's controversial movie 'Brokeback Mountain'. Which so much reminded me of another movie of the same theme by director Yeung Fan titled 'Bishonen' which I should have reviewed when I watched it last February (I find it's the right time to do one now ne SNUFFLES-chan??? hehe). Both films tackled about homosexuality that are suppressed by culture and environment. Both films were starred by a cast of straight guys overflowing with testosterones but came out so convincingly as gays. I have to congratulate all of them for doing such a great job and having the courage by not limiting theirselves in their craft. Before I go any further, first, let me just give you a short background on both films.

brokebackmtBROKEBACK MOUNTAIN

CAST
Heath Ledger (Ennis del Mar)
Jake Gyllenhal (Jack Twist)
Anne Hathaway (Lureen Newsome)
Michelle Williams (Alma)

DIRECTOR
Ang Lee



Click for SUMMARY (WARNING: this is very graphic! hehehe)


bishieBISHONEN

CAST
Daniel Wu(Sam)
Stephen Fung(Jet)
Jason Tsang(Ah Ching)
Terence Yin(Kingsley or KS)

DIRECTOR
Yeung Fan

Click for SUMMARY (WARNING: this is as graphic! hehehe)

These two films are almost the same if not for the location. One was shot in Wyoming while the other at the busy streets of Hongkong. Both our couple leads take on a very smooth start: Ennis and Jack meeting at work while Sam and Jet bumped into each other in a shop one morning. I dont know if it was love at first sight for the cowboys but it was for their eastern counterpart though their stories seem to thread the same path. A path first filled with the eagerness of knowing each other more. Until they realize how they can no longer live without the other. This is where things get a little more compromising. In Sam and Jet's case, Sam's upbringing as the perfect son his parents consider stood in the way of their happiness. He cannot face up to his father when he was caught by him with Jet one afternoon. His internal battles pushed him to his own demise afterwards and left Jet totally heartbroken. In BM, our cowboys may have had it smooth in their rendezvous to Brokeback for some 'fishing' but the constant need of Jack for intimacy and his growing demand for Ennis' time is opposed by Ennis' efforts to juggle a double life. One concealed from the other. As they continue with their own struggles trying to live their lives apart, Ennis was struck one day by the news of Jack's premature death. What made it doubly hard to accept was that he wasn't able to give Jack's wish of them getting a ranch in Brokeback---a little place he wished they'd could call their own.

Both films ended on a very, very sad note. My gay buddy who watched 'Brokeback' with us wept watching Ennis go through Jack's things and discovering his missing shirt hanged together with that of Jack's. Im sure Armi wept when Sam jumped off the building (110% sure of it XD). I hope not all same-sex love story would end this sad. I have gay friends too and I think they would also want a happy ending.

And since we're on it, let me just say, I may even be turning a little gay myself....yes, I confess, I am secretly having fantasies about this woman even if 'she' scares me at times >>>

Tackeyladyagain

XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD SNUFFLES-chan, she's growing on me....nyaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!

PS: I just watched 'MEMOIRS of a GEISHA' the other night and I have to say, the book is much better although I kept giggling on the 'stage/platform' Sayuri zori. Its as if she brought her own portable stage with her. No wonder she was the star of the show. She came in prepared hahahahahaha Wished Sayuri had her zoris when Pumpkin brought Chairman instead of Nobu-san. Either she'll squish Pumpkin's toes with it or clunk her head with one throw of it. Either way, I see both can be fatal hahahaha ^^ Now, Im hoping that the 'DA VINCI CODE' wont disappoint me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home