V(^^)V ~ youkoso minnasan!

Monday, February 06, 2006

tragic

I have never been fond of gameshows. They give the people false hopes and make them believe that they could just get rich so easily without sweating it out. Call me killjoy. Call me an anti-believer in luck (atleast on this aspect) but Im not gonna waste any more of my time watching these local shows with a group of gyrating young ladies while the hosts in their maka-masa tone of voice make a big fuss over handing cash to weeping millionaire-wannabes. True, times are hard these days. True, there were a lot of people who don't get much as they deserve. True that there are such prejudices in the world. And me in my comforts am only too glad and thankful for being where I am. I admit that Im being too idealistic when I say that it is better to enjoy the money one has toiled for than money that just falls on one's lap but in all honesty, Im sure to think twice about this if someone offers me millions upfront. Well, you cant turn deaf to the reality that money DOES make the world go round. And last Saturday it did just that and it caused 70+ Filipino lives.

I was on my way to Shang to meet up with friends when I heard what happened on TV. There was a stampede at Ultra around 6am when the people queued (or more of pushed and rushed) in line to get in for the 1st anniversary special of a local gameshow, 'WOWOWEE'. It was shocking to hear of the total number of casualties since its just a single event. I didn't know that hordes of people will be trooping to take part on that show. Some even came from far-away provinces. From what I read, some even came earlier as Wednesday and camped out for this chance of a lifetime. It may be a question on security measures. May also be a question of plain discipline but when you have about tens of thousands hungry, tired people waiting in line for days hoping for a shot of luck, the program should have prepared better for this. Somehow the weeping show's host asking for forgiveness on cam didn't make up even for a single life lost. He said that the program will still continue and so it will but those who have lost their loved ones on this just wouldn't know where to start picking up their lives again. They went there in hopes to better their lives only to go back with more tragedy.

It is a sad reality as I believe people will still continue going and patronizing the show despite it all. People would still take their chance at it. I hope though that some of them learned from this and think that we shouldn't just rely on fast cash. Look what greed has brought us to...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home